Friday, February 01, 2008

I give up

In the states we have ginger ale. In Africa it's called ginger beer. It's not quite the same but close enough if you have a craving.
So last time I was in Mozambique I was with a team at a great seafood restaraunt. I ordered Ginger beer from the waiter.
"Gingah...?"
"Beer."
"Gingah...?"
"Beer."
"Ah don understand ju madam...Gingah...?"
"Beer!...Beer!" I now see the team of Americans is watching the missionary shout 'beer' at the waiter.
"Uh... no madam. The beer we have is..."
"No! I don't want beer. I want a cold drink... in a can... It's golden color. It tastes like ginger."
"Oh! Oh yes! We have that. Here we call it ginger ale."
sigh. Okay.
So I returned to Swaziland. the other day I went to Nando's a new restaraunt in town. I ordered a ginger beer.
"A what?!!!!!!!"
"Ginger beer or maybe ginger ale."
the man scrunched up his face at me. "What?! What are you saying? A ginger...?"
I wasn't about to go through this all again.
"That...that there!" I pointed in the cooler behind him. "I see it there. In the brown can. I see it. That's what I want...that there!"
He turned and looked behind him.
"Oh. Yes, madam...we call that a 'stoney'" (the manufactor)
Oh, for the love of Pete.
I give up.
From now on, I drink Coke.

3 comments:

Stone Mantels said...

Ok this was the funniest. I knew you Swazi missionaries lived on the edge.....

Heather said...

I'll have a ginger beer. hold the ginger. ;)

Gurl- I'm not going to be able to come to Africa. I won't have enough Vacay days. And I'm not 'on fire' enough about it to try and force it to work. bleh. sorry.

Danielle and Elliott said...

hilarious! i remember that...so awesome...miss you all and love you and still praying for you!