Saturday, February 24, 2007

Young Girl/ Old Lady


Do you remember this picture? You can look one time and it's a young girl. The next time it's an old lady.
That's how I've been feeling lately.
I think I'm getting old.
Let me explain.
I found something in my hair last night. I don't really know what it is. It's so foreign to me I can't identify it. I found one two Decembers ago. It was short and kinky and shimmery-silvery. Well you know how much I like things that shimmer. I got so excited! I thought I was growing Christmas Tinsel. I plucked it out and hung it on my tree. But now it's February and the tinsel sprouted again. Hmmm...maybe it's not tinsel.
I think I'm getting old.
But then again, two people asked me last week if I was a UNC student when they heard I lived in Chapel Hill. THAT doesn't happen to old people.
But there was that time several years ago I went to a Nickleback concert in a bar with James. I kept thinking "The music is too loud. The air is too smokey. Does the singer really have to drop the F-bomb in every song? Is it really fair that my bottled water is $4 when James's beer is only $2?"
The irony is, in college, I use to seek out the loud music, and the smokey bars. My budget didn't allow the expensive drinks, and I was the one dropping the F-bomb.
I think I'm getting old.
But wait! When I flew to Brazil last summer, the flight attendant wouldn't serve me. She kept saying, "Are you SURE you're at least 21?" I just smiled and reassured I was WELL past 21.
So maybe I'm not.
After all, I can still dance! But I'm starting to wonder,- Does it still count that you "Drop it like it's hot"....even if it takes you a while to pick it back up again?
I think I'm getting old.
No, no wait. A parent just told me that her son said, "Miss Merrill always tells us she's 57. But she only looks about 19."
He's getting straight A's this semester.
That doesn't happen to old people. But that fact that I'm flattered instead of insulted makes me wonder...
I've seriously been considering getting a ruler tattooed vertically on my abdomen. That way I can determine if the "geese are flying south"
I think I'm getting old.
But I'm still a six-year-old at heart..
Well maybe in light of all of this ridiculous reflections, I can concede:
I think I'm getting old...-er.

2 comments:

Toddzilla said...

Geese flying south! Hilarious!

Anonymous said...

Yup...once you are flattered or spending time reflecting on all this...it's a sign...a sign of "er" not "old" :0)