Saturday, January 06, 2007

All in how you look at it


My house is in the middle of nowhere. Well, at least it was when I bought it 2 1/2 years ago. Now this area is booming. But up until this summer there was no place to go and hang out, or get something to eat/drink. You'd have to drive all the way into Chapel Hill or Durham.
You can imagine my excitement when a new plaza was developed just a mile from my house. Jennifer and I both prayed for a coffee shop. Anything really,- starbucks, panera, carribou. Just anything!
And then it came. Harris teeter opened, and right inside the doors was a starbucks. Now I'd never go sit at the little tables and drink coffee with friends in the middle of a grocery store, but hey, if you wanted a decent cup of joe, it was right at your finger tips. And the shopping carts all have a little metal cricle to put a cup in so you can drink overpriced carmel, mocha, half caffs, with a shot of skim while you shop.
HOWEVER, as I was shopping the other day I walked out to my car and noticed across the parking lot has now opened a starbucks. Yes another one. Yes, across the parking lot. Yes, just a dozen parking spaces and a grassy knoll away. Yes, just 200 yards. ANOTHER STARBUCKS.
WHY?
I got mad. That's ridiculous.
BUT I tried to get on my little soap box with Jennifer, and she changed my perspective:
"They opened another starbucks! Can you believe it? How stupid is that?!!!!"
Elated she exclaimed, "Another one?!!!! That's awesome? Remember we both prayed for one? And now there's 2."
Hmmmm. I didn't think about it that way. We each prayed. and we got doubly blessed. Blessed beyond reason really.
Hmmmmm. Now imagine if we prayed for something that actually mattered...

No comments: