Friday, May 05, 2006

A warm meal, and a warm heart



One of the coolest things I did was visit the care points. We arrived in time at one to participate in feeding the kids.
As we arrived they were gathered together singing praises and then prayed to bless the meals.
They first lined up for pap (pronounced like pop. It's mealy poridge from corn) and then I served the beans and veggies over it.
Most kids had little bowls or tupperware to eat out of. But the one that tore me up was a boy who brought a pencil box. I almost lost it. It's such a small thing that my students take for granted, and yet it's the only thing this boy had to eat from.
I showed my students this picture and they caught it right away. They also noticed that most kids didn't have shoes.
They've been facinated with all the stories, trying to grasp the idea of their poverty in Swaziland. If nothing else, I hope they can understand how truely fortunate they are for what the basics they have,- parents, food, and clothes. They amaze me with their compassion. One little girl decided she was going to go to Swaziland with her parents.

1 comment:

Jean Ohlerking said...

you'll never hear any of these kids saying, "I don't like that," because for most this is the only meal they will get all day.

thanks for coming christy. come back really soon. we need you.

jean