Monday, June 27, 2005

Names of God


A few months back I atteneded the Whole Woman's Day conference in Raleigh,- It was awesome. One of my break out sessions was called the Names of God. I learned so much in that hour and I had fully intended to share it with my small group, but I've just never finished polishing my notes. So while I finish that this summer, here is just a tiny tid-bit of info that I gathered!


Selected Names of God

Jehovah The LORD (YHWH) meaning 'I am who I am'. This shows the self- existent one.

Exodus 3: 13-15 Moses said to God, "Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, 'The God of your fathers has sent me to you' and they ask me, 'What is his name?' Then what shall I tell them?"
God said to Moses, "I am who I am. This is what you are to say to the Israelites:' I am has sent me to you.'"

Jehovah-Jireh The Lord will provide
Jireh means 'see' as in "I'll see to it."
Genesis 22: 13 Abraham looked up and there in the thicket he saw a ram caught by its horn. He went over and took the ram and sacrificed it as a burnt offering instead of his son. So Abraham called that place The Lord Will Provide. And to this day it is said "On the mountain of the Lord it will be provided"

Romans 8:32 He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all- how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things?

Philipians 4:9 And God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus.

Matt 6:8-11 Do not be like them, for your Father Knows what you need before you ask him. This, then, is how you should pray:
Our Father in heaven
Hallowed be your name,
Your kingdom come, your will be done
On earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.

Jehovah-Nissi The Lord is my banner
Nissi- a signal or a flag to symbolize a rallying point. Significant for soliders in a battle

Exodus 17:15 Moses built an altar and called it The LORD is my Banner.

Jehovah-Shalom The Lord is peace

Judges 6: 22-24 When Gideon realized that it was the angle of the LORD, he exclaimed, "Ah Sovereign Lord! I have seen the angel of the LORD face to face!" But the LORD said to him, "Peace! Do not be afraid. You are not going to die." So Gideon built an altar to the Lord There and called it The LORD is peace.


How amazing it is that each name,shows us a little more into the character of who God is!

No comments: