Sunday, June 19, 2005

Beauty's Only Skin Deep


It was one of those glorious days, - you know the ones, when you wake up way before your alarm goes off and realize you won't have to rush? But on this day I was extra thankful because it was the first time I was scheduled to be a greeter at newhope church.

"This is perfect" I though to myself. "I can spend the extra time getting ready!" So I took my time and got myself done up right! I blew my hair out, and put it in Velcro rollers to ensure lots of body and bounce. I did my make up meticulously, even taking the time to apply concealer (a luxury my schedule never allows Monday thru Friday.) I chose some great clothes, matched all of the jewelry, picked my favorite red high heels, - I even had enough time to paint my fingernails and toenails scarlet red to match my outfit. I gave myself a once over in the mirror and decided to go back for seconds, - I was lookin' good!

Honestly, I was pleased that I'd taken the extra effort to look nice that day. "After all," I told myself "I'm the first face people will see when people come to newhope today. I want to make a nice impression." I found myself at church smiling brightly and welcoming in the trickle of early comers as they came through the door. Then I saw a new family of six making their way slowly up the sidewalk. I quickly understood that this family was unique, -both parents we blind and were being led buy their oldest son and daughter.

Once inside they introduced themselves and asked for assistance in getting to Hopetown for the children and then to the sanctuary. I led them to the elevator and then assisted them in back to worship. I sat next to them during service and then to retrieve the children and to the parking lot to wait for their ride. After spending all of that time ushering, I had had very little opportunity to actually greet that day.
I was a little annoyed by that. Then, I heard God's tiny little whisper voice speaking to my spirit. "Isn't it funny," He said, "That after all of your hard work this morning, the only people you spent time with today couldn't see you?"

Ouch!

But he was right. I'd spent so much time getting myself ready and yet hadn't even taken a moment to pray or crack a bible. My outside was beautiful but my heart had never been prepared. It was a humbling reminder that (just like mom always said) it's what's on the inside that really counts.

2 Corinthians 4:16-18 reminds us that our physical bodies are getting older and weaker every day. "What we see will only last a short time, but what we cannot see will last forever." Our looks are only temporary, no matter how much we do to take care of ourselves. No amount of silk, eyeliner, or Botox will make a difference in the end.

As a Christian woman, I know there's nothing wrong in taking care of myself and making myself look nice. But as in all things, I need to make sure God is first with all other things being secondary. After all, God's word says, "Women who claim to be devoted to God should make themselves attractive by the good things the do." 1 Timothy 2:10

Will you join me on this one women? C'mon lets get ourselves done up right!

No comments: