Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Guatemala Stories


Okay Okay,now a bit about the guatemala trip....
Guatemala was a beautiful country combining my favorite parts of my favorite countries. Guatemala city reminded me a lot of Maputu, Mozambique, but Zacapa was mountainous like Swaziland. And of course the people were lovely and gracious like the Brazilians so it was a triple win!
But this trip was by far the hardest trip I've been on,- mentally, physically, emotionally. However I'm not affraid of a challenge. I know "suffering" is the place where were are tested, challenged, and grow, so I tried to take it all in with a good attitude.

The temperatures and humidity were both high and a lot of days were were working outside. In addition, our beginning living quarters were more like bunkers with community bathrooms,- and y'all know how I am with my downtime and personal space. This was fixin' to drive me crazy!

But through it all I had to keep in mind, the advice Ben Rogers gave me back in Swaziland, "A good servant isn't offended when she's treated like a servant" So many times I'll do a task and get it done, but it would never be considered serving. Serving is an attitude. Serving is excellence. Serving is Humility.


This was the question that kept rising up in my spirit.
Will you serve me?
Will you serve me when you are hot?
Will you serve me when you are tired?
Will you serve me when you are sick?
Will you serve me when the task doesn't seem like 'ministry'?
Will you serve me when someone one else gets all the credit?
Will you serve me?

All of these were hard, but I know I'm better because of meeting the challenge.

No comments: