Thursday, May 08, 2008

I beleive this is what they call "reverse culture shock"

It's weird being here.
Like, drinking tap water is cool... but there are things that make me feel uneasy.
Like, when did Drew Cary become the host of The Price is Right? SO un-charismatic.
And why is it every motivation to do something fear? I can't turn on the tv or talk to someone with out getting hit with a scare tactic! Global warming, bad economy, war, soaring gas prices,fear, fear, fear! Do this or the earth will blow up! Do that or so-and-so will get elected!
Was it always that way and I just didn't notice it before? I've found myself turning off the television, just over the whole thing.
...And since when did Oprah become the authority on everything? Any question about Tom Cruise, the shape of poop, God, or morality can be answered by watching her show. The scary thing is she's so far out there and people don't even notice because she's a "nice person" and does "good things."
Wake up. She's misguided. I don't care how many schools she opens in Africa.
Ech...
And why do we need so much stuff? Walmart is huge, and all the aisles are filled with stuff! stuff for your house, stuff for you pets, stuff for your kids, and your kids' pets' houses. And if that's not enough, you can get all of that stuff in a variety of colors, so it will match your other stuff. Because God forbid your stuff doesn't match.
Im packing up my fathers house, and I find so much stuff! 2 George Forman grills, one small and one large. 4 crockpots. Yes 4. 3 sets of knives.2 tractors, 2 leaf blowers, 2 cans of tuna...and my dad hated tuna! but i'm sure there was a reason he felt he needed all of this stuff.
Someone probably used a scare tactic.

4 comments:

Benji Kelley said...

Appreciate the post and perspective.

I have prayed for you and those you love.

Annie said...

I think it's partially culture shock but the reality is when you are living in it day to day you get numb to the mass manipulation and it's good to remember if we are all good stewards and care for our planet, family, finances etc. there would be no need to panic :0)

So off with the tv :0)!!

Anonymous said...

Christy, we met in Swaziland in 2007 with the WCLN trip from Fayetteville, NC. I just read your blog and I am sorry to hear about the passing of your father. I am praying for you that God will give you all that you need to help you with this situation.
Grace, peace and blessings
Brett Asher

showstopper said...

miss you, Christy Merrill!!