Sunday, October 15, 2006

I'm only human


Ex 17:
8 Then Amalek came and fought against Israel at Rephidim. 9 So Moses said to Joshua, "Choose men for us and go out, fight against Amalek. Tomorrow I will station myself on the top of the hill with the staff of God in my hand." 10 Joshua did as Moses told him, and fought against Amalek; and Moses, Aaron, and Hur went up to the top of the hill. 11 So it came about when Moses held his hand up, that Israel prevailed, and when he let his hand down, Amalek prevailed. 12 But Moses' hands were heavy. Then they took a stone and put it under him, and he sat on it; and Aaron and Hur supported his hands, one on one side and one on the other. Thus his hands were steady until the sun set. 13 So Joshua overwhelmed Amalek and his people with the edge of the sword.

I love this passage. I truely shows the human side of Moses, and how the body of Christ should function together.
I guess so often we look at Moses and see some Holy man of God. And rightfully so. He saw God pass by, he recorded the 10 commandments, he made the Red sea part. Those are very cool things that I'm sure I'll never experience.
And sometimes we hear a sermon about how he'd been a murderer "back then" but then he's changed and was a holy man, "god- can- use- you- too-even- if- you're- flawed.blah blah blah."
But this story happened in the mist of all his Holyness.
He was truely human. You think he'd have some super-human strength that would let him keep his arms up forever, - but no. He got weak just like the rest of us would. so what happened? In his weakness his two friends literally held his arms up so God glory could be done. That is awesome! And it's so encouraging to know that when I'm weak I don't have to do it all on my own.

No comments: