Saturday, September 09, 2006

So what's with the mouse?

If you have children you are probably familiar with the Laura Numeroff books, If you give a Mouse a Cookie, or at least it's cousins, If You Take a Mouse to School, If you Take a Mouse to the Movies, If you Give a Moose a Muffin, If you Give a Pig a Pancake, or If You Give a Pig a Party. In each story you give the main character one thing and then they want another until it's a big ta-do and at the end of the story they want the first thing again, creating fits of giggles from any first grader who realizes the whole fiasco will start again. Tee- hee Tee-hee.
Well Adison Schmitt, a 3 year old at my church gave me this little mouse and cookie doll to take to Brazil and give to a little girl. she wanted me to take her picture so I could bring it back to the states and she could pray for her. (Of course her partents told me all of this. She was too shy and simply gave me the doll saying "Mouse and cookie"
So I did as I was told but took a lot of pitures of mouse along the way so I could create my own grown up version of the books.

3 comments:

Jean Ohlerking said...

you oughta write your own books, christy. you're good. kids would love it. invent your own critter tales. adventures with christy in brazil/swaziland/timbuctoo/wherever
and make it educational as well.

i'd buy one for each family of my grandkids. it's a start!

Mrs. Cooper said...

Oh how lovely ... I think it gave me a grand idea ... we have to do outreach/missions as part of our curriculum and I think I'm going to do "If you give a mouse to a third grader" and what we'll do is buy stuffed animals and give them stories and take them around school with us and take photos and then have the kids give them to kids in lesser circumstances for Christmas.

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed this walk down memory lane. I used to teach 2nd grade, and now I miss the children's books! Thanks! :)

Lesley in Durham