Monday, July 18, 2005

My response:


Reading about the crisis in Zimbabwe is hard for us all. The suffering of those left homeless is unimaginable. I sat numb at my laptop for a while and simply cried. No praying, just crying so that I might grieve with them if only for a moment. I cannot wrap my mind around this whole ordeal, so I have tucked it into my heart.
While I don't question why God has allowed it, I know some of you have. My only response would be…it's only the middle of the movie.
Some of you have heard me use that expression before, but the rest of you are puzzled by now. Remember when we were kids, and every movie we watched had the same format? In the middle of the movie, the villain always appears to have the upper hand. If we stopped watching then, the story seems pretty bleek. But in the end, the hero...well, he's the hero. Good conquers evil.
I feel the same hold true today when I watch the news, or read the online headlines of the suffering in Zimbabwe. Men, women, and children have been abused, neglected, abandoned by their government, raped, murdered, and evicted, - yet it's only the middle of the movie. We serve a God who will be victorious.
God says in his word that there will be trouble in life, however he does not abandon us. He knows each of his children by name. He has fashioned their bones together in their mother's womb and numbered the hairs on their heads. He stands beside them even now, in the midst of their suffering, - even those who don't welcome him. And he consistently conforms those who call out to him.

"For he has not despised or disdained the suffering of the afflicted one; he has not hidden his face from him, but has listened to his cry for help." Psalm 22:24

"For men are not cast off by the Lord forever. Though he brings grief, he will show compassion, so great is his unfailing love. For he does not willingly bring affliction or grief to the children of men" Lamentations 3:31-33

Reading the report from Dave Ohlerking this morning left me stunned. It is inconceivable to me. As the tears flowed, I realized I didn't even know how to pray for them. So I did the one thing I knew to do in situations like these, I began to praise Him. I praised Him for His goodness, His unending love, and His righteousness. I praised Him for being
The Deliverer, The Judge of the Earth, El Roi (the God who sees), El Shaddai (God Almighty) the Prince of Peace, Wonderful Counselor. But most of all in the midst of all the suffering, I praised him for his promise to be victorious at the end of the movie. Love wins.
God conquers evil.

"I have told you these things, so that in me, you may have peace. In this world, you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

1 comment:

Dave Ohlerking said...

Thanks for caring and sharing the challenge of needy ones in Africa.
Dave & Jean Ohlerking