Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Extra grace required

I have friends in my life who are "extra-grace required" kind of people. I know you do too. It's hard to love them. Sometimes you want to ring their necks. There are times when I wish to myself that I could walk away and not be friends with them any more. But look at this great quote I found yesterday:

"When we despise something we reguard it lightly. We take no notice of it and count it as nothing. We do not take
care of it. If we don't take care of what God gives us, we lose it."
-Joyce Meyer
Now, Ms. Joyce wasn't talking about friends, but it certainly applies. When I'm angry, frustrated, or judgemental with my friends I reguard them lightly,- as if they are unimportant to my life, or worthless to the world. However I know that God loves them with all their flaws just as much as He loves me with my one or two....okay, my millions of flaws! More importantly, I have to confess the awareness that he put these people in my llife for a reason. Sometimes in my arrogance, I think it's so that they can learn something from me, but in my humility, (and in reality) it's probably so I can be sharpened, challenged, and refined. These relationships are often lessons in love, patience, endurance, self-control, peace, joy and kindness. Difficult as they are, I need them more than they need me.
So I thank you ornery friends! You mean a lot to me!

No comments: