Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Genie in a Bottle


Aladdin had the lamp, Darren had Samantha, Captain/ Major Nelson had Jeannie. It seems wish granting is the popular thing to do! What ever your heart desires…Poof! Why can't Christians have that?

Now don't get me wrong, I understand that God is not Santa Claus- give him your wish list and He'll take care of it. But lately I've been struggling with the "Why" when God doesn't respond to my prayers.

I understand that I won't get everything I want simply because I pray for it. God has much greater vision than I do. Jesus asked, "What father would give his child a snake when he asks for a fish?" (Matt 7:10) So if something will harm me in the long run, God is kind enough not to give it to me just because I ask for it.
But what I'm describing are things that I know God wants for me to have. When I pray for humility, why do I still stumble over my own stupid pride? When I'm praying for a new ministry opportunity to serve and glorify him, why am I still sitting here with no direction? If these are good, and righteous things that God loves, and desires us to have, why doesn't He give them to us when we finally know enough to ask for them?

I think the most satisfying answers have come through reflecting on my past experience with God during my quiet time. In the past I've prayed for something only to receive it much later than I'd expected. But upon further investigation, I could see how God had arranged circumstances and put things into place so that I could have my prayers answered. Perhaps now, while I think He is sitting quietly, He is actually hard at work putting all of the pieces into place.

And sometimes this slow delivery is for my own good. For example, when I was in college I was overweight because of an unhealthy relationship with food. I used to it for comfort, to celebrate, during lonely times, - essentially I was turning to food for all of the things I should have been turning to God for. And as God began to show me this wrong attitude (dare I say a form of idolatry?) I was able to turn my heart to Him once again.

Over the months I struggled daily but eventually came to a place food has been put into its proper place. But because I struggled daily and because I was determined "run the race through" I now feel confident that I will never go back. Hard work, struggle, continued longing, and determination all helped me to "own" the results, and prevent me from slipping into the same behaviors again.
Realizing this I'm still praying for my good things to come, - but I've changed my prayers a bit. I'm confident that He has already heard me, and knows my needs, but continue to pray for His good things to come. And I've substituted my "Why God?" prayers, by boldly thanking Him for already setting the wheels in motion, - it's simply a matter of time now.

Jesus encourages us, "Keep looking and you will find. Keep on knocking and the door will be opened… If sinful people know how to give good gifts…how much more will your heavenly father give good gifts to those who ask." (Matt 7)
It's like my friend always tells me: We pray in our time, God answers in his!

No comments: