Sunday, February 01, 2009

ungrateful

Months ago in Swaziland I had to attend a community meeting as a representative for our education program. As always we opened the floor for questions or concerns for the caregivers.I was appalled when a woman stood up and started complaining about the children not having meat at the care point.Are you frickin' kidding me?!!!! I thought to myself I'm so glad I didn't have to take this question because I would not have handled it well. My response would have sounded something like, "Well, we feed 10,000 kids a ample nutritious free meal everyday. We don't force them to eat here. If yours don't like it, they don't have to eat here. They can go home and eat the nothing that you provide for them."I have no grace when it comes to ungratefulness. If these kids are as hungry as the community says they are, then they should have no problem with pap/rice, beans, vegetables and meat on special occasions.Grrrrrrr!!! (But I must say not all of the caregivers felt that way, and some were very apologetic at this woman's request)But to be honest I've caught myself with the same attitude these last few days. I've been shaking my fist at God, angry and whiny about what I don't have, instead of being so grateful for what he has already given me.I have a roof over my head, a car to drive, my health, a wonderful healthy family, food in my belly, clothes on my back, money to pay my bills, friends to talk me off the ledge, I live in a country with freedom and have a Jesus who loves me enough not to strike me dead with a bolt of lightning when I act with such audacity!!!
Sorry Lord. Thank you for showing me all that I already have. Help me to be content, like Paul says, whether I have a little or a lot.

2 comments:

Annie said...

Oh! Amen!! Yesterday I watched Freedom Writers with Molly (if you haven't seen it, add it to your Netflix queue and move it to the top!) and we just sat there and cried and smiled and cheered and we had to pause it a lot and talk about how grateful we are for all that we have and how many people are struggling so much more than we are and cry for those we know who are fighting similar battles as the kids in this movie. So, so grateful for all that we have and the good friends along the way!! :0)

beccachristian said...

I had a similar "testy" (remember Beth Moore's word from the Loving Well retreat in Nelspruit?). I remember ranting and raving to the Lord "I've given this girl so much and she still wants more. She acts like I haven't given her anything and is always complaining". And I couldnt help but think "hmmm...who does that sound like"...and followed with "Lord, I'm sorry, thank you for...".